We all enjoyed the Hairy Dieter’s lemon cupcakes I made last week, so I decided to make a chocolate-chip version as this week’s treat. Instead of flavouring them with lemon I used vanilla and added chocolate chips instead of icing them. Very nice (and even a 7 year old can make them!)
Skinny Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (or 1 tsp baking powder)
- 75g/3oz golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 free-range eggs
- 150ml/¼ pint low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 50ml/2fl oz sunflower oil
- 50g of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-hole deep muffin tin with some non-stick paper cases or folded squares of baking parchment.
- Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, and vanilla. Make a well in the centre. Beat the eggs with a large whisk until smooth, then beat in the yoghurt, milk and oil until well combined. Stir into the flour mixture with a large metal spoon until very lightly mixed. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Working quickly, divide the batter between the paper cases. Bake in the centre of the oven for 16–18 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen and golden brown. Transfer them to a wire rack and leave to cool.