It’s surprising just how different people’s Christmas traditions are. You always assume that everyone does Christmas the same old things as you but everyone seems to have their own holiday rituals. We always have smoked salmon sandwiches on Christmas Eve, but we’ve never had a particular Christmas day breakfast. It’s just something easy and treaty, like Christmas muffins (made the day before) or ready-to-bake Pain au Chocolate.
These are my own Christmas muffins, which I’ve gradually evolved from lots of different recipes. They don’t have any cranberries in them, although you could always add some if you insist on adding cranberries to everything at this time of year…
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone! x
- 1 orange
- 100g raisins
- 50g oats
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 50g melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 300g self raising flour
- 85g caster sugar
- Zest the orange and put into a bowl with the raisins. Juice the orange and pour over the dried fruit for about 20 minutes to plump up a little.
- Toast the oats a little in a frying pan
- Mix the wet ingredients together then add the rest and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake at 180 degrees c for around 25 minutes.