I decided that I needed to learn how to make flans, as pastry is something I’ve never been particularly great with. This is a great (and pretty failsafe) recipe for making whatever flavour flan you like!
Just add whatever ingredients you fancy flavouring the flan with. Some of my favourites so far are sausage, tomato and cheese (see photo below), bacon, onion and cheddar or mushroom and feta (see the pic above). Pretty much anything would taste good in a flan though so go as wild as you dare!
- 1 roll of shortcrust pastry
Basic Flan Filling:
- 1/3 pint of milk
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Roll out your shortcrust pastry and drape over your flan tin pressing into the sides and being careful not to stretch the pastry.
- Roll a rolling pin over the top of the tin to trim off the extra pastry and then put the tin in the fridge while your oven heats up.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees c.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While that is cooking make up your filling. Mix the eggs and milk together thoroughly in a jug. Make your filling. For the flan above fry 1 chopped onion and 1 small pack of mushrooms until soft.
- Once the flan case is out of the oven tip in your filling and bake for a further 25 minutes until the eggy mixture is set.